twc home   |   charter   |   links & refs   |   mailing-list archive   |   song

Re: Comments on TWC-L

Brian Sandle (bsandle@southern.co.nz)
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 14:10:10

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 14:10:10
From: Brian Sandle <bsandle@southern.co.nz>
To: twc-l@halmarax.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Comments on TWC-L

On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Anexia wrote:

> Brian Sandle wrote:
>
> > Then you must surely direct your ire at this writer, who was the one I
> > meant to quote. He is suggesting early drug taking as a prep.
>

> I meant to imply nothing of the sort. Where did I suggest taking drugs
> early as a prep for death?

I was just checking as to whether you were endorsing, as suggested by your
quote, taking Eboga several times in full doses, after an initiation. I
presume discussion of how soon before death an initiation might occur
would be a followup.

And another writer has said:

Something practical that did occur to me was the potential difficulty
subscribers might have in gaining access to the appropriate medication
during
the critical phase.
Have other subscribers any information on common or garden substances
that might serve to turn the mundane TV set into a fiery chariot,
perhaps drawn by a host of golden angels?

And I ask that anyone supplying psychoactive substances, or data about
them, considers having a support network at the ready for those who use
them to their detriment.

Tony indicates a willingness to consider support for failures, though he
perhaps doesn't give enough credence to harmful effect when he says
`failure to have the desired effect'.

I suggested illuminating, for the readers,
> the reasons Huxley and Leary used hallucinogens at the time of their
> death. I don't understand how you infered what you did. The "juncture
> of spiritual growth" that I was talking about was the moment of
> death...when we move to the next stage of existance. I think that you
> misunderstood something that I said. Here is what I wrote:
>
> >Yeah, that's a good idea. I did not get a letter outlining the
> > "mission" of the list. Is it purely informational, is it activist, etc?
> > Let me know what your main goal is and I'll discuss it with you. All I
> > know is that I'm interested in the subject. I guess you just have to
> > start somewhere and let the thing grow like a living organism. Maybe a
> > good way to start is by informing people about Huxley's, Leary's, etc.
> > beliefs about the psychedelic experience, their experiences with dying,
> > and their motivation for taking hallucinogens at that crucial juncture of
> > spiritual growth.

I have some knowledge of Aldous Huxley's journey, though I feel the
environment to be very important in what happened to him.

Some twenty years ago I read a book `Myself and I' about psychedelics and
psychotherapy. The patient was very pleased that her therapist understood
classical music as an important environmental aspect.

J.Krishnamurti, philosopher of life's journey, says he never took
psychedelic drugs, though perhaps illness played part in his insights.

I feel that environment may be more important than medication, though you
may remember I have said on talk.euthanasia that starvation is a normal
death for animals and cancer patients. It may have effects which damage
the body, I said, and should not be played around with.

And to help agaisnt delusion from wrong medication and environment let us
take a quick look at `levels' that we may be dealing with.

I quote from `Silent Invasion' by Ellen Crystall:

"In my judgement, many people don't know what they are channelling. They
assume they are tuning in to aliens when in reality they are contact
their own spirit guides or even what metaphysics calls the higher self -
a level of awareness even beyond spirit guides. In all my experience of
contacting the aliens and bringing talented psychics to Pine Bush to
attempt to contact the aliens, none of us were able to channel the
aliens. In fact several psychics who tried were surprised to learn that
something like a wall of energy surrounds the aliens, protecting them
from any attempts to reach them on the psychic level, whether through
telepathy, clairvoyance or astral projection."

So I worry that by prescribing psychoactive medication yu will only be
giving some sort of expensive entertainment at a particular `level', and
that the
entertainment will be hoped for again and again, which is nothing to do
with spiritual development. The opposite to development may be occurring.

> Now why do I deserve "ire" for wanting to edjucate someone about someone
> else's life?

I was being advised not to discuss other than the point of death
experience, but you appeared to be, as I explained.