twc home   |   charter   |   links & refs   |   mailing-list archive   |   song

Re: Legal problems with access

Anexia (neocon1@cris.com)
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 15:31:15

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 15:31:15
From: Anexia <neocon1@cris.com>
To: twc-l@halmarax.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Legal problems with access

Brian Sandle wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Anexia wrote:
>
> [...]

> > I don't know about Europe, but in the US, the church has MAJOR
> > political pull. It is almost a political party itself. They want a
> > monopoly on spiritual experiences. Since they cannot offer
> > transcendental experiences, anything that can is considered deadly
> > competition.
>
> So is it the church in China which has just executed people for drug crimes?

No, we don't have a "church in China" where I live (the US). I have no
idea what the heck you're talking about. Was that meant to be a smart
ass remark?

> I think I'll be a bit monotonous on this for a while and ask what do drug
> people do to look after their failures?

That question is ambiguous. Do you mean "failures" as in "means with
unrealized ends", or do you mean "failures" as in "those who have
failed"?

> You criticise the church, but
> they do have some role in looking after people.

Like sending children to be enslaved and slaughtered under the
pretext that they are crusading in God's name? Like murdering fellow
humans because of a semantic disagreement over what name to give God?
Like bombing abortion clinics? Maybe you're refering to the wonderful
job the church does erecting gargantuan palaces while the homeless starve
and die before its eyes. Whenever I had a problem (depression, for
example), you know how the church helped me? It told me that I was born
a sinner--doomed to hell--and that I should grovel for forgiveness
(unless, of course, I could donate some money...then it would all be
O.K.).
My opinion: Jesus was beautiful and taught lessons of peace and
unconditional love. Then came the church--a hierarchial distribution of
power amongst believers. Over time, it translated the connotation of
Christ's teachings from love and forgiveness into guilt and judgement.
The church used these bastardized teachings to its economic and political
ends. The modern world suffers the consequences to this day.

> They do not quibble so much at others' spiritual ways, but at cleaning up
> mess.

You need to take a reality pill, Bub. They don't quibble at
others' spiritual ways? I can't belive that you actually said that.
What planet are you FROM? Hell, they quibble over what DENOMINATION one
is from, let alone which religion one follows. What's worse, most times
the motives are political and not spiritual at all. I only have one word
to say: Ireland.

> I imagine you are asking for legality for accustomed users to have the
> drug at the death bed in the hospital, so it would be looked at as a foot
> in the door for legalising the earlier use.

Oh really? Now what good would that do me? I don't do drugs. I
don't even drink. Hell, I don't even drink coffee. I have done LSD and
psilocybin in the past, and they have changed my life for the better. My
mind was opened (something your church obviously hasn't been able to do
for you), and I felt like I gained ontological and theological insight.
Whether I did or not is beside the point. The point is that my fear of
death was assuaged--something that *BLIND* faith could never have done
for me. The psychedelic experience substanciated my faith; it was a
transcendental experience that my faith could be predicated on. If I can
help share this perspective on death with someone who is terminally ill,
than I will. It would be an act of kindness that I would feel good
about.

> > my guess is that we'll have to break a few laws
> > if we want to adminiser hallucinogens anytime soon.
>
> I hope
> confusion does not come to the lives of some as sales pressure looms
> on them to take the substances at the legal time for a first go if any
> legalisation occurs.

Here is how I rationalize the improbability of that happening:
Hallucinogens affect consciousness by altering the chemistry of
the brain. One doesn't take one's brain with them when they die.
Therefore, one's consciousness is impervious to the effects of
hallucinogens after death. If one is impervious to the effects of
hallucinogens, one cannot be confused by them. How's that?

Now, while I like to discuss, I hate to rebut...reminds me too
much of school. Please do not be offended if I do not respond to any
more of your trollings.

Anexia

--
"Nothing is true, all is permitted"