twc home   |   charter   |   links & refs   |   mailing-list archive   |   song

Re: Copy of: Primary Support

Tony Halmarack (Tony@halmarax.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 07 Aug 1996 09:34:47 +0100

To: twc-l@halmarax.demon.co.uk
From: Tony@halmarax.demon.co.uk (Tony Halmarack)
Subject: Re: Copy of: Primary Support
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 09:34:47 +0100

In message <19960728.173612.08@halmarax.demon.co.uk> Kevin Jones wrote:

> Tony Halmarack said:
>
> >Is it possible to counteract the circulatory system effects of
> >these chemicals, without losing the benefits?
>
> In theory. I am not aware of any research on the matter and I may have
> to ask Dr Alexander Shulgin but it occurs to me that there may well be
> two receptors involved in the actions of MDMA. The first, activated by
> the phenylethylamine group, would be normally triggered by adrenaline
> and related compounds. The second, which gives the hallucinogenic or
> psychoactive properties is more likely to be due to the ligands bonding
> to a related receptor. I would have to bugger about with a molecular
> modelling program to be sure though.

Perhaps if the questions involved here could be precisely
defined, then a request for info could be made to an appropriate
chemistry/pharmacology newsgroup or more specific individuals.
We might as well go for a fully functioning hypothesis.

> If anyone wants to try, I'd suggest trying something that opposes the
> action of adrenaline.

Sounds like an interesting experiment. Maybe some more research before
we try it on Grandma?

> Incidentally, some of the natural amphetamine derivatives can be
> interesting. Some have no pharmaceutical equivalents.
> Many have been used for the purposes of divination etc in the past - or
> at least the plants which produce them have.

Perhaps worth a try. What about the rough edges though?

> I've had a particularly weird experience with one, but that's
> another story.

One I hope you will recount soon!

> According to Greek myth, this plant was a reward from the gods
> for alleviating old age and for being able to speak to the gods. Well,
> it's not only hallucinogenic in high doses, it's also fairly effective
> for restoring a sex drive that is flagging with old age.
>
> Kevin

Teaser!

--
Tony Halmarack =(*)= Tony@halmarax.demon.co.uk