twc home   |   charter   |   links & refs   |   mailing-list archive   |   song

Re: Pain, petrified fear and volcanoes

Vashti (vashti@theshop.net)
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 12:06:02 -0600

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 12:06:02 -0600
To: twc-l@halmarax.demon.co.uk
From: Vashti <vashti@theshop.net>
Subject: Re: Pain, petrified fear and volcanoes

At 05:32 PM 7/28/96 +0100, you wrote:

>In message <19960726.212015.19@halmarax.demon.co.uk> Vashti wrote:
>

>> I am sorry to hear you were ill.
>
>Hello Vash,
>
>Thanks for the sympathy, I'm well again now. Quite cheerful in
>fact, after reading some of the recent postings to the list. What
>a bunch of characters! Do you think these ideas will come to
>fruition soon. It'll be some party. Hope I can make it for the
>big one.

parties...hmmm...I am quite shy in person.
(till I get to know you, then i am just irritating)

>>I have been in some pain, myself, but I try to "meditate through it"
>
>I hope you're feeling ok now. Meditation's a current topic on the
>list, which method do you use? Would you recommend it to others?

I have used many kinds, including, Transcendental, Lectio Divina,
Mantras...and just walking through my garden in silence and trying NOT to
weed....8)

>> occasionally, I have need of pain medication, but
>> actually pot works much better at the times I am really in pain.
>
>I've read that pot is a pain killer but never really used it for
>that purpose. I don't use it much now because it seems to
>adversely affect my heart rhythm.

It is not the same as a narcotic type pain killer, however. Your
consciousness is not induced into sleep, but more a hypnotic waking-dream
state that allows you to overcome the pain, without being "dopey" . 8)

>>For a
>> chest cold thing i would have given you some hyssop tea with peppermint.
>> (cold or hot, it does the trick)
>
>Thanks, I'll try it.

works for me. (positive thoughts too...get the placebo affect working...or
mind over matter...)

>> >Sad for them. Lucky for me. I'd like to keep it that way for as
>> >long as possible.
>>
>> It is difficult to do without resorting to some kind of drug, however..it
>> can be accomplished.
>
>Please let us know about any none-drug methods you are familiar
>with. Drug methods too!

relaxation techniques will get you out of pain quickly at first. Later it
will be more difficult not to "splint" your body against the pain. Many
relaxation techniques are used in the lamaze method of birthing, and can be
used for any type of severe pain.

Herbs are a second route to add when one can no longer completely control it
without it.

Each person has his own pain threshhold, and the use of drugs should be
based on that individual. If the person says they can not do it, then a
small dose of morphine might boost them. Opiates are MY choice for
irreconcilable pain.

>I recently saw an astounding article in the 'New Scientist' magazine
>dated 6th April 1996. The article was called 'Give a drug a bad name'
>and explained that each year in Britain thousands of cancer patients
>die in agony. Even though the WHO strongly recommend the use of
>morphine and related drugs for pain relief, the association of
>these opiates with heroin use have given the pain killers a
>reputation as dangerous drugs. Consequently doctors are scared
>of prescribing them.

there was a "school of thought" that began in the 70's that really looked
down on Doctors who used opiates too soon on their patients in great pain
because of the fear of addiction to them. This thought has no place in the
treatment of dying people.

>It makes me wonder who is running this show?
>Also, whether they should be.

In terminal illness it should be the patient. If your doctor refuses to
treat you in the way you want to be treated, then you should seek medical
help from someone who does. It is YOUR body, your RIGHT.

>> I have not used hallucinogens since 1973, I think. But I am with you.
>>(and in the book of Wisdom it says : "There is no bad drug" ahem...
>>on and on I go...
>
>I'm sure they all have their uses. Red tape certainly isn't a
>realistic alternative.

Well, I am certain they do have a place. I am just not one to use them,
given my particular diagnosis, and spiritual state.

>> >Maybe if all else failed, hallucinogens might catapult them out
>> >of that unpleasant state of consciousness, especially if there
>> >were people with the appropriate skills, prepared to assist.
>>
>> How would you assist them?
>
>I would try to encourage experts to advise and participate.
>I'd prefer to learn from the best sources available.

me too.

peace
vash

twc home   |   charter   |   links & refs   |   mailing-list archive   |   song